I’ve said it before I’ll say it again, AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!1!One!!!!ExclamationPoint!!
That’s a damn good trailer. It’s no secret that 75% of the staff here at The Hollywood Picture News is really excited for this movie. (I’m looking at you Rick). Not only is it the first theatrical release to not directly deal with the Skywalker family, it also apparently has a much darker tone, it being more of a war movie after all. We get an actual sense of the universe the Rebel Alliance is dealing with in A New Hope and it’s not a nice place.
I don’t want to waste any more time, so Let’s Talk About The NEW “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” Trailer:
- We open with a city, possibly Mos Eisley under Imperial control. Shuttles and TIE Fighters fly around as a slow piano version of the Imperial March plays. Ominous.
- Saw Gerrera (Forest Whitaker) talks to Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones), saying that the world is coming undone and that Imperial Flags reign across the galaxy.
- We see a Star Destroyer hovering over what looks like Jabba’s Palace.
- Lucasfilm logo and no Disney logo. Good. These movies are weird enough with out the 20th Century Fox fanfare, adding the Cinderella’s Castle Disney Logo would be too much
- A Rebel commander asks Jyn if she can be trusted with her shackles off, but she just wants to get this over with.
- Mon Mothma tells Jyn that they have a mission for her. A major weapons test is happening and the Rebels need to know how to destroy it.
- Interesting that they are keeping the detail that Jyn is the daughter of the guy who designed the super weapon at bay.
- We see more shots of the just being completed Death Star as the score grows louder
- Cassian Andor (Diego Luna) tells Jyn that if she’s really doing this he wants to help.
- A U-Wing takes off. This looks to be the ship that our group will be using primarily.
- Some Rebel pilots are in shackles being perp walked through a market by Stormtroopers. Andor says he’s been recruiting for the Rebellion for a long time.
- Baze Malbus (Jiang Wen) says “they destroyed our home” as we see him taking out a platoon of Stormtroopers.
- We get more character introductions as Donnie Yen‘s Chirrut Îmwe gives a speech to a bunch of soon-to-be dead Stormtroopers.
- Imwe takes out a platoon of his own and seemingly saves Jyn and Andor.
- Next we get our first introduction to K-2SO voiced by Alan Tudyk. He seems to be a repurposed Imperial Droid that is much less amicable than our standard protocol droid like C-3PO.
- He let’s Jyn know that Captain Andor says she’s a friend so he won’t kill her. Which is pretty nice all things considered.
- We get a really cool shot of the Death Star eclipsing the sun of the desert planet.
- Director Orson Krennic (Ben Mendelsohn) looks menacing as we’re told that every day [the imperials] grow stronger.
- The U-Wing drops troops off on a beach and we see it’s more of a troop transport vehicle than a standard fighter.
- We get some new shots to the beach battle scene we saw in the teaser and, well frankly, it looks dope as hell. (That’s a technical term)
- We also get some snipets of new armor and vehicles that we haven’t seen yet. Like the Shoretroopers and a straight up tank.
- K-2 tells the group that there’s a 97.6% chance of failure. Droids just like to give you the odds I guess. Andor tells Riz Ahmed‘s unnamed as of yet character that K-2 means well.
- Deathtroopers apparently blow up one of their own shuttles, which could either be creative editing or maybe they are stopping the rebels from stealing it and escaping.
- X-Wings fly through a dark canyon and fire upon an encampment.
- Baze uses a goddamn shoulder mounted rocket launcher on one of those new (old) AT-ATs and it barely fazes it.
- Jyn tells Gerrera that this is her chance to make a difference and he smirk/smiles at her. Which might be her superpower, as she got Mon Mothma to do it in the teaser too.
- We see the U-Wing (which I hope they give an actual name to) make a daring escape to Hyperspace as something crumbles around them.
- A TIE fighter crashes into an Imperial Command Bridge. Because they can’t seem to stop that from happening. Though this being a prequel, maybe this is the first time and they should have learned for the sequentially later movies. Am I over thinking this?
- Jyn walks down an outdoor platform at comes face to face with a TIE fighter. I will say this looks pretty badass but if I had to guess I’d say that’s her commandeered ride out of there.
- We see a shot of the whole group in the U-Wing getting ready and Jyn asks “Are you with me?” to which Andor replies “All the way.” Loren gets chills. (Especially because it looks like the same scene from the Celebration Footage we got last month where Jyn gives us a great “May the Force be with us all.”)
- Title Card fades into Darth Vader looking at the plans for the Death Star and his trademark breathing. I can’t stop smiling.
You guys, I have a lot of hope for this movie. I have loved every piece of media I’ve seen from it. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to watch this trailer a couple hundred more times for the next couple months.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story opens everywhere in December.