Yep, still in for this movie.
This is the second full trailer we’ve gotten for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and it’s still pretty damn good. I won’t lie and say that it didn’t give me chills like the first one did but it doesn’t have to.
The trailer that came out today is what we’d call the “story trailer”, the trailer that tells the audience the basic story after they’ve presumably seen the “hype trailer”. Here we find out more about Jyn’s back story and connection to both the Empire and the Rebellion.
Don’t get me wrong though, this trailer still has a ton of awesome footage to unpack. Let’s not waste any more time and Let’s Talk About The Newest Rogue One: A Star Wars Story trailer:
- The trailer opens with a slow choral version of the Star Wars theme as Director Krennic‘s shuttle flies over a beachhead.
- Galen Erso warns his daughter Jyn that whatever he does he does to protect her.
- Deathtroopers and Krennic march out to the Erso farm in an ominously gorgeous shot.
- Tight shot reveals that Galen is talking to a young Jyn, telling her to hide as the Empire comes to take him away.
- Jyn wakes up in a cell with a snap realizing she was dreaming about her past.
- We see her in a cell with another prisoner as a Storm Trooper paces by.
- Lucasfilm logo. Still no Disney logo and I think it’ll stay that way. We don’t get it in the Marvel movies, we shouldn’t here.
- A Star Destroyer looms over a city as TIE Fighters fly by on patrol. This shows us how far the Empire has come in just a few years.
- Rebels stage a prison break and release Jyn from her shackles. Cassian Andor asks if Jyn wants to get out of here. Which is a pretty silly question if you ask me.
- An amazing visual of a fallen Jedi statue that looks suspiciously like Obi Wan Kenobi. Mon Mothma‘s voiceover let’s us know that a Rebellion is all that remains to push back the empire.
- Shots inside the Yavin IV base and hangar, when Andor asks Jyn when the last time was that she spoke to her father. Apparently that prison break was no coincidence.
- We see a much older Galen being trotted out to Krennic on an Imperial Base. Mon Mothma tells Jyn that her father is critical to the development of a super weapon.
- The Death Star crouches behind a planet like it’s hiding behind a couch.
- Jyn says that if her father has anything to do with this, they have to find her.
- Baze Malbus asks “How many do we need?” as we get shots of the team. (Someone will use this to make a sitcom style opening for this movie, guaranteed)
- The U-Wing carrying our heroes takes off from the Yavin base.
- K-2SO tells them that someone is requesting a call sign. Bohdi Rook says, “It’s uh Rogue. Rogue… One”. Roll Credits.
- They make the jump to light speed, as Krennic impassionately tells Darth Vader that the power they are dealing with here is immeasurable.
- We know that Vader thinks that the power of the Death Star pales in comparison to that of the Dark Side soooo.
- The rebellion holds a council meeting where people want to know what they can do against the enormity of the power of the Death Star.
- Cut to a show of Imperial force as an AT-ST (AYE TEE-ESS TEE) lays waste to Rebel forces on the city streets.
- We get a lower shot of Saw Gerrera showing his cybernetic leg. I don’t know that we knew that’s what caused his limp, but I like it.
- In the hull of the U-Wing, Jyn tells the troops that they have hope and rebellions are built on hope.
- A sweeping shot of the tropical beach base. Because even Imperials need a vacation spot.
- Rebel troops sneak through the jungle as Andor, Jyn, and K2 don Imperial gear to infiltrate the base. This confirms that Jyn is not a defector as previously thought but pulling a “Han and Luke Stormtrooper”.
- Chirrut Îmwe tells the troops to take hold of this moment and we see some new alien species.
- We get a little more of the scene where Îmwe is taking out a platoon of Stormtroopers seeing that he has a little help from Baze.
- Andor says to make ten men feel like a hundred as we get a battle montage containing an X-Wing battle at night and more of the battle on the beach. This is capped off with Îmwe firing his cool looking bowcaster.
- More X-Wing battles (this time in space!) and Jyn rallying the troops calling them Rebels.
- Vader walks up to Krennic in a menacing fashion, but if I had to guess this is more of their conversation from earlier.
- We get the line of the trailer from Saw with “Save the rebellion, save the dream!”
- The U-Wing flies through the tropical battle as the AT-ATs fire down on the beach. All the while Îmwe and Baze
- The trailer closes out with title card and the slow theme we’ve heard in previous trailers.
I can’t believe we’re two months away from our first truly new Star Wars feature length movie. It’s an amazing feeling.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story opens everywhere December 16th.