God these trailers are good. First the teaser and then the full trailer. Both are packed with so much goodness and the third and final trailer continues this tradition. They also do a great job of showing you just enough to get you excited for the movie and enjoy what you are watching without spoiling the entire thing.
It appears as though the sequel takes place relatively soon after the events of the first movie, which is strange for MCU films as they usually take place in real time. But James Gunn has never shied away from the strange, which is probably what makes him the perfect director for these movies. It looks as though the Guardians are still together after saving the Galaxy from Ronan in the last movie and have become intergalactic heroes for hire. A few familiar faces have joined the group with Yondu (Michael Rooker) and Nebula (Karen Gillan) lending a hand and it looks as though the 2008 comics relaunch ancillary character Mantis (Pom Klementieff) is joining the cinematic team as a full member.
This is going to be a fun ride, so Let’s Talk About The Final Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Trailer:
- The trailer starts right away, no fade ups here.
- It looks as though Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) has repurposed an old 70s style football game into some sort of tracker.
- Gamora (Zoe Saldana) pulls out a large rifle. Quill is threatened by it, saying guns are his thing and swords were hers.
- All while the bickering is happening, the Abilisk (thanks early LEGO set names!) falls onto the platform they are on, tentacles flailing.
- Drax (Dave Bautista) jumps into the mouth of the Abilisk like he’s goddamn Captain Jack jumping into the Kraken.
- Baby Groot (still Vin Diesel) plugs in an amp and music plays. Even just doing the simplest thing, he’s the most adorable that ever adorabled.
- Trippy Marvel logo.
- Ayesha aka Her aka Paragon aka Kismet (Elizabeth Debicki) sits atop her Cable Ace Award looking throne and lists all the bad things she senses in the Guardians. Fear, jealousy, betrayal, etc.
- This is intercut with shots of scared Baby Groot, Gamora de-hooding Nebula, and Rocket (Bradley Cooper) being ambushed by Yondu and the Ravagers (which before these movies would have been a kick ass band name.)
- Thousands of (what is presumably) the Enclave‘s ships warp into formation in as menacingly a fashion as that can be.
- Rocket is bad at winking as he uses the wrong eye after saying the Enclave isn’t conceited douchebags at all. I know that feel.
- Peter, flying the Milano, plays concerned parent and tells Groot to put his seatbelt on before going into some fancy maneuvers. Groot plays standard child and doesn’t listen. He immediately gets tossed around the cabin.
- During the scene where the Ravagers are ambushing Rocket, it looks as though Rocket had the upper hand with, what can only be described as, antigravity blow darts.
- Through a montage of the Guardians getting their gear ready, Rocket remarks that they are going to be able to jack up their prices after saving the galaxy again. He’s not wrong. I wonder what the going rate for galaxy saving mercs is?
- Rocket lives up to his name as he and Star Lord jump out of a ship with rocket packs on, flying through a space battle.
- In what’s probably a dream sequence Quill and Gamora dance on a balcony. It’s slightly reminiscent of their scene together listening to music in the first movie.
- This is juxtaposed with Gamora firing a cartoonishly large gun. It’s kinda hilarious.
- Drax looks to be surrounded by a force field as he flies through space, firing a gun, and yelling, “Die space ship!” He may be the personification of my Id.
- In my personal favorite part of the trailer, Baby Groot waves at Gamora in the middle of a fire fight with childlike wonder. She stops firing for just a moment to acknowledge him and say hi back before continuing to fire.
- Rocket and Yondu walk down a catwalk that at first glance looks a lot like the prison from the first movie, but is more likely the Ravagers headquarters. Yondu is supposedly turning his back on the pirates and joining up with the Guardians.
- Yondu whistles for his weird, whistle powered arrow.
- A quick shot of Mantis (who we don’t get too much of in this trailer) is followed by Nebula piloting what might be the Milano and firing at Gamora.
- The Guardians end up on a planet with picturesque vistas and floating bubbles that reminds me a lot of Oz.
- With the climactic montage happening Nebula points out that all the Guardians do is yell at each other, and they aren’t friends. Drax agrees and says they are family. Which makes sense since Dominic Toretto plays the voice of Groot.
- Drax acquiesces a bit and says maybe Nebula isn’t family. Though she’s actually closer to family than the rest seeing as she was raised with Gamora by Thanos. *Pushes nerd glasses up*
- Killer hero shot and title card and we’re ou…….. Wait a minute.
- Kurt Russell shows up as Ego The Living Planet to drop the bombshell that he’s Peter’s dad looking all bearded and scarved.
- Now we’re out.
I can’t wait for this flick. The original is #4 on my list of MCU movies and this looks to cozy up right next to it. These capture the action/humor/heart of the Marvel Universe pretty damn perfectly and Gunn is the right man for the job to get it done. Unlike other directors *coughZackSnydercough* he fundamentally understands these characters and wants to make them the best they can be. It’s going to be a long two months.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 opens everywhere May 5th.