The Thor franchise really needed a shot in the arm, and I think this may be it. How often is the third movie in a series the best? Could this be the first of it’s kind? I mean, after Thor: The Dark World (or Thor: The Second Thor as Mr. Sunday Movies calls it) most of us were a little “meh” on the Asgardian’s standalone adventures. Another very talented actor wasted as a boring villain under so much makeup they are unrecognizable. Seriously, that’s Christopher Eccleston under there, I didn’t realize that until I saw the credits and still didn’t believe it. The sci-fi elements felt off and the comedy elements felt forced and unfunny. That looks to have been rectified in this outing.
Thor: Ragnarok looks like a sci-fi epic, with some honest to Thor funny bits. Tell me you didn’t laugh when he says he knows Hulk from work and I’ll call you a liar. Not to mention Cate Blanchett as Hela the Asgardian god of death, gives a great looking performance and could be the actual well-crafted villain that the MCU desperately needs. Couple all that with the rumors that this is a road trip comedy style movie starring Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), and The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and well, I just can’t think of something I want more.
Anyway, enough of all that, Let’s Talk About The New Thor: Ragnarok Teaser:
- We open on a chained up Thor falling into what is presumably Hel.
- Hela walks seductively(?) up to Thor. She at least has a better hip shake than Enchantress.
- The locale changes as Thor throws Mjolnir at Hela, she catches it with one hand and shatters it in a huge wave of power. In the comics and the movies only those who are worthy are even able to lift the hammer. This gives us a glimpse of Hela’s sheer badassery.
- If we look into the background we see that the two are on Earth. Thor left at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron to take care of things back in Asgard. At the end of Thor: The Dark World we see that Loki is impersonating their father Odin and there have been rumors that Odin is on Earth. Maybe this is why.
- Led Zeppelin’s Immigrant Song plays and really gives us that Guardians vibe.
- Hela’s sick helmet is just the first of rad headgear in this trailer. It does pull off the comic accurate look.
- When the god of death tells you that your realm is dead. Probably not a good thing. We see the Asgardian warriors approach Hela before all of Asgard is wiped out.
- Thor is seemingly pushed out to another realm during the destruction.
- He lands in what looks like a space scrap yard that has sky portals in the background. This is a normal thing to say.
- Thor greets the locals, who may sell this scrap to Unkar Plut over on Jakku, before they shoot him with a space net gun.
- Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) collects the netted Thor and drags him away.
- Images of what may be the actual Ragnarok show Hela laying waste to the Valkyrior. It’s metal as fuck.
- Space ships fly low over the water. Because it looks cool.
- Thor is dragged in and strapped to a chair. Kinky.
- Valkyrie has brought Thor to The Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum) who along with The Collector (Benicio Del Toro) is one of the Elders of the Universe. The elders are a near extinct race known for their personal obsessions, so they have names that fit those obsessions. Simple enough.
- The Grandmaster has set up some sort of intergalactic/dimensional gladiatorial games.
- A brief shot of Heimdall (Idris Elba) without his rad helmet fighting some type of minions in a forest. This movie looks like a 70s rock album cover come to life.
- Who wants a badass montage?
- An Aerobie shaped space ship once again flies close to the water, Skurge (Karl Urban) dual wields some space assault rifles, purple storm troopers advance, Hela does a cartwheel flip in her big ass helmet.
- Not to be outdone, we get a badass shot of Loki (Tom Hiddleston) in his full helmet, flipping his daggers during the assault on Asgard. I have to wonder if Loki makes it out alive, but he’s pretty slippery so…. maybe?
- The Grandmaster starts the games and calls out Thor as the first competitor.
- We get a good look at Thor and his big boy haircut. I guess that Chris Hemsworth was tired of wearing the wig.
- Thor awaits his competition, he puts on a slick version of his comic counterpart’s helmet.
- The other fighter is billed as incredible just before he crashes through the wall.
- It’s The Hulk in full Planet Hulk regalia and Thor is super excited. Thor gives us what might be the best line of the trailer: “YES! We know each other! He’s a friend from work!” What I love the most about this is that Thor considers being an Avenger his day job.
- Hulk either doesn’t recognize him or is pissed at him for some reason because nothing stops him from attacking Thor.
- The final shot is the two jumping at each other about to clash, leading into the title card. It’s fantastic.
I’m not even sure what else to say. What a year Marvel is having. Next month’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 looks great, Spider-Man: Homecoming looks like a hell of lot of fun, and then there’s this. Holy shit you guys! This looks amazing! It’s got that Guardians feel to it while seemingly keeping with director Taika Waititi’s vision for the character and that’s a very good thing for the Thor franchise.
I might even be more excited for this movie than the other two. Maybe not, but I have so much hope for it.
Thor: Ragnarok opens everywhere November 3rd.