First and foremost this is a MUCH better trailer. In fact, every trailer for this has been better than the last. I was having trouble getting into this flick for some reason, which is pretty weird seeing as how I have very much enjoyed the X-Men movies. You know, except for the absolutely terrible X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Those two are garbage. This trailer has gotten me back on track.
Since the dawn of civilization, he was worshipped as a god. Apocalypse, the first and most powerful mutant from Marvel’s X-Men universe, amassed the powers of many other mutants, becoming immortal and invincible. Upon awakening after thousands of years, he is disillusioned with the world as he finds it and recruits a team of powerful mutants, including a disheartened Magneto (Michael Fassbender), to cleanse mankind and create a new world order, over which he will reign. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) with the help of Professor X (James McAvoy) must lead a team of young X-Men to stop their greatest nemesis and save mankind from complete destruction.
The last two films have been an interesting take on the whole series, staying in the same continuity while simultaneously rebooting the franchise. It does leave a whole lot to be desired when it comes to trying to figure out the timeline. Luckily for them though, X-Men: Days of Future Past went and retconned a lot of the weirdness/bad decisions from previous installments. This does make watching the whole series of movies a lot more confusing, however.
X-Men: Apocalypse will most likely be the end of this prequel trilogy. These movies have gone through three decades, setting up the version of the X-Men we saw in the first film from 2000. This won’t be the last X-Men movie we’ll get, though. We still have the final Wolverine movie and Deadpool 2 with Cable and most likely double the X-Men we got in the first one. There’s also talk of an X-Force movie, as well as an X-Factor television series, and more than likely more traditional X-Men movies.
But for now, we should focus on this one so let’s talk about the final X-Men: Apocalypse trailer.
- The trailer opens with the familiar looking sign to the Xavier Academy at 1407 Graymalkin Lane, Salem Center, Westchester County, New York. Now re-opened after the events of Days of Future Past.
- Charles Xavier is telling his students that the world is better. I would imagine that this won’t last long.
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Mystique drops by the Mansion to let Charles know that “Just because there’s not a war, doesn’t mean there’s peace. He’s coming.” Presumably talking about Apocalypse.
- We see a pyramid and inside Oscar Isaac‘s En Sabah Nur is becoming Apocalypse.
- Rose Byrne returns as Moira MacTaggart to give us the x-position (nailed it) on Apocalypse.
- We learn that Apocalypse will gather mutants together to steal their powers like some giant blue, Egyptian, mutant vampire.
- Storm (Alexandra Shipp), Angel (Ben Hardy), Psylocke (Olivia Munn), and Magneto are shown as the new Horsemen of Apocalypse.
- Xavier asks Magneto not to join with Apocalypse but Magneto has too much rage in him after the loss of his family. Does he have a new family we don’t know about? Because it’s been almost 40 years otherwise. Maybe it’d be time to let some of that rage go.
- Apocalypse hates landmarks.
- He also screams some heretical stuff about cleansing the world.
- Xavier, in Cerebro, says he’s never felt power like this before as his eyes turn black.
- The two fight on the Psychic Plane, not to be confused with the Astral Plane from Doctor Strange.
- Xavier gets beat down and captured by Apocalypse psychically and presumably actually as well.
- Beast (Nicholas Hoult) tells Raven that Xavier has been taken and for some reason puts her in charge of the new X-Men.
- A version of Filter’s “Hey Man Nice Shot” begins to play even though that song wasn’t written until about 10 years after this movie is set. Enh, they play enough with timelines in these movies maybe it’s an Eighties song now.
- Hank tells Raven that the students look up to her, and again I say why?
- She of course takes the job but says that if she’s going to teach them something, it’s to fight.
- We see Angel fighting Nightcrawler (Kodi Smit-McPhee) in a cage. Pretty reminiscent of when we meet Wolverine in the first movie, but those guys didn’t know he was a mutant. It’s pretty clear that they know these two are.
- Mystique saves Nightcrawler and he recognizes her. In the comics she’s his mother but the timeline here doesn’t work for that. It’s probably that he saw her on TV a decade ago in Paris when the world publicly found out about mutants and changed the timeline for the movies.
- Quicksilver (Evan Peters) tells Raven that Magneto is his father. In a funny bit, Raven is a bit dumbstruck and he starts to explain that Magneto and his mom had sex. Here’s to hoping that there is a little bit of humor in this film and isn’t as dark as the subject matter.
- It looks as though Storm’s powers have been upgraded by Apocalypse because like Metallica she can Ride The Lightning (yes!).
- We get a good shot of Cyclops (Tye Sheridan), Jean Grey (Sophie Turner), and Nightcrawler in their X-Men uniforms.
- Storm and Cyclops face off amid the destruction.
- Because missiles hate the X-Men (they stopped a bunch in Cuba in the Sixties), Apocalypse launches a ton of them.
- Some more hero shots of the new Horsemen including Angel becoming Archangel and Psylocke slicing through car.
- Her and Beast have fight that ends with him throwing her into a billboard.
- As Deadpool predicted it looks as though the Mansion gets destroyed again, taking out bunch of students. This happens a lot in the comics too.
- We see a glimpse of the Quicksilver running scene that was hinted at when the movie went into production.
- Next are a couple of brief shots of William Stryker (Josh Helman) landing a helicopter, perhaps at the destroyed Mansion very reminiscent of X2. And we see the third(?) version of Jubilee (Lana Condor).
- More destruction and Scott not being able to control his powers.
- The X-Jet gets an upgrade now looking much more like a S.H.I.E.L.D. Quinjet. So there are Helicarriers and Quinjets in this universe but it doesn’t cross over into the MCU. Got it.
- Magneto is featured and says that he’ll take everything from them as more things explode in the Mansion.
- Raven tells the kids that they aren’t students any more, they’re X-Men.
- We get a shot of Alex Summers (Lucas Till) firing off his powers inside of Cerebro while he, Moira, Beast and Raven try to save Xavier from Apocalypse. Otherwise this seems like a dangerous move.
- Psylocke hitches a ride on top of the X-Jet.
- Jean Grey unleashes her power. I’ve heard rumblings that we’ll start to see her Dark Phoenix persona creep in a little even in this movie.
- We get more destruction and yelling. Then more “Hey Man Nice Shot”.
- A bunch of soldiers lay dead on the floor as Mystique walks in. She finds the students and notes that they’ve been busy. Apparently they had help.
And that’s it. Not too sure about giving away the Wolverine reveal in the trailer but I don’t think it’s nearly as bad as giving away the whole movie *cough* The Legal Proceeding of Batman v. Superman *cough*. This finally looks like an X-Men movie I want to see.
X-Men: Apocalypse opens in Large Format, Real D 3D, and Digital 3D May 27th.