It finally happened you guys! It’s been a long time coming, but we have been gifted with the first trailer for Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War and I gotta say, it’s so rad seeing all these MCU characters together in one place. I don’t want to waste too much time with explanations of these characters and their motivations before breaking this bad boy down, especially seeing as this will be the nineteenth (holy shit!) movie in the MCU and we’ve gotten to know the characters from this now truly expansive universe pretty well over these last ten years. Interestingly, this trailer does appear to be different than the one they produced for Comic Con earlier this year, but there’s still plenty to unpack here so let’s talk about the first Avengers: Infinity War trailer! Continue reading
Welcome to the Weekend Watch. Where we try to point you towards the best ways to spend your viewing time (or, at least, steer you clear of the garbage).
RDT: It’s good. Not perfect. But still, really, really good.
A Ghost Story
Loren: “A meditative poem about the enormity of time.” K.
RDT: Ok, that looks terrible, pretentious as fuck. But I’m still kinda curious. The whole ghost thing is weird. So, I’ll likely check it out streaming.
Do You Take This Man (Limited)
Loren: I don’t know you guys, that looks pretty gay. And also a pretty wonderful character piece. I don’t know that I’ll see it but I bet it’s pretty good.
RDT: I dunno, other than the gay aspect of it, it looks like a fairly standard story. I like the cast though. So, I may check it out eventually.
Rick: What RDT said, though I’m not sure I’ll ever get around to it.
Jen: This feels like one of those “West Side” stories of affluent LA-ites that live a life so different from me as to be unrecognizable as co-habitants of the same city. But, Mackenzie Astin. So, toss up?
First let me just say thank you to whatever deity deals with movie trailer releases. After getting the abysmal Justice League trailer over the weekend we are blessed with this pretty great Spider-Man: Homecoming one.
I’ve already covered a ton of the Spider-Man/Sony history in my Breakdown of the first trailer so I won’t rehash that here. I will note, however, that this trailer doesn’t focus as much on Peter/Spider-Man being in high school. That was the first trailer’s job to give us that John Hughes Movie feel that they are going for. This one is more about the story and the action. We get a lot of both here so let’s not waste any more time. Let’s Talk About The Second Spider-Man: Homecoming Trailer: Continue reading
We swear one day Ryan is coming back but until then we’ll have some great guests. Like this week, The Lady makes her return to the Hollywood Picture News to discuss Stranger Things Season 1 and what’s in store for Season 2.
She and Loren also talked some news bits like:
- Amy Pond plays board games with Rock Johnson and Kevin Hart.
- Demi Moore and Colton Haynes Rock That Body and it’s probably not as sexy as it sounds.
- Orson Krennic makes Galen Erso do some bad stuff. Don’t worry, those names will make sense soon.
- CBS tests All Access with a Fall Big Brother and will go commercial free.
- Supergirl gets a warm welcome to the CW and tries to warm Metallo’s kryptonite heart.
- So much talk about Barb. Riverdale, Squirelgirl, other things.
- Netflix doubles down on the science shows with Bill Nye and the former Mythbusters Build Team.
- We “Discover” (get it?) new information about Star Trek.
- Bat-fleck teases a villain for his movie that comes out in like 2 years.
- Gotham season three sounds exactly how you think it would.
- And Happy Hogan isn’t the only “Shocker” of a casting note for Spider-Man: Homecoming
All that plus a couple of tangents.
And don’t forget to rate/review on iTunes. We’d really appreciate it!
First and foremost let me get this out of the way. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!1!One!!!!ExclamationPoint!! *Ahem* Sorry, I needed that.
Now, let me just say that this is what a superhero movie trailer should look like (I’m looking in your direction The Legal Proceeding of Batman v. Superman). It has everything you’ve come to expect from a Marvel movie; action, humor, Tony Stark, everything. Captain America: Civil War is shaping up to be one of, if not THE, best Marvel movies to date. Plus, SPIDER-MAN!
Here’s a brief run through of all the amazing (see what I did there?) things from this trailer.
- We see what’s probably a flashback to where the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan) was being held. Some sort of Arctic facility.
- General “Thunderbolt” Ross (William Hurt) has the Avengers in a board room and goes over a list of places they’ve destroyed. New York, DC, Sokovia. Cap stops him after seeing the way it affects Wanda (Elizabeth Olsen).
- We get a quick shot of T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) getting caught in some sort of explosion/attack. This may be why he’s so intent on taking the Winter Soldier down.
- An underwater prison surfaces. Is this the MCU Raft?
- We start to see which sides Captain America (Chris Evans) and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) are taking.
- Black Panther gets a little bit more screen time as he takes down Bucky in the chase down the tunnel.
- We get a better look at Tony’s watch Iron Man armor set up and him blocking a bullet to the face from Bucky with it. It’s gonna be really hard to be friendly to a guy that tried to shoot you in the face.
- War Machine (Don Cheadle) gets shot down and Tony holds his body as if he was dead. Is this the major death we’ve heard about?
- Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) tells Tony that she’s not the one that needs to watch their back. But is she talking about Cap or Tony?
- We get a bit more of the knockdown fight between Cap, Bucky and Tony.
- Black Panther and Bucky have a fight scene at the Airport location.
- Scarlet Witch uses her powers against The Vision (Paul Bettany). In the comics these two get married. If they have feelings for each other, this scene could have different connotations.
- We get a really cool moment of Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) shooting an arrow that has Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) riding on it!
- A shot of Crossbones (Frank Grillo) punching Cap across some sort of cafe. It’s been rumored that Crossbones is the actual perpetrator of the attacks and is setting Bucky up.
- We get the second best line of the trailer Iron Man tells Cap to “Stay down, final warning.” Cap reprises his line from The First Avenger and says in the same manner, “I can do this all day.”
- We get the two teams squaring off and running at each other as the penultimate shot. Which could be enough until we get:
- Tony saying he’s had enough and yells out “Underoos.” Spider-Man (Tom Holland) appears, webs up Caps hands, steals his shield, and says “Hi everybody.” while standing in a classic Spidey pose to close out the trailer.
Captain America: Civil War opens in the US on May 6th and personally I can’t wait.